For press freedom by Sunanda Deshapriya
Friday, 07 May 2010 01:25
The police are yet to take action against those responsible for the alleged assault on senior Daily Mirror journalist Sandun Jayasekara.
However four statements were recorded from Mr. Jayasekara by police at the Colombo National Hospital and Maharagama.
Several attempts to contact a high ranking PSD officer to check whether any disciplinary action had been taken against those involved ended in failure.
Presidential secretariat policy research and information director Lucien Rajakarunanayake said that he was not aware of action being taken or whether action would be be taken.
“If he had lodged a complaint action will be taken in keeping with the legal procedure,” he said. Meanwhile, newly appointed Minister of Media Keheliya Rambukwalle said he would speak in detail on the assault of Daily Mirror journalist that took place Tuesday, at a media briefing today.
Minister Rambukwalle said that he would discuss whatever information that had come to his knowledge, at the media briefing, soon after he assumes duties in his new office.
Meanwhile, Deputy Minister Mervyn Silva telephoned Daily Mirror online yesterday evening to express concerns over the assault on Daily Mirror journalist Sandun A. Jayasekera.
“We must ensure there is no harm not just to journalists but even insects. We must all ensure that we carry out our duties with care. While carrying out these duties if people do unnecessary things they will have to face the consequences. This incident may have been a mistake but still we must make sure these kind of incidents do not happen again,” Deputy Minister Mervyn Silva told Daily Mirror online.