For press freedom by Sunanda Deshapriya
Friday, 22 October 2010 01:15
Says assaults will continue as long as students misbehave
By Sandun A. Jayasekera
While expressing his regrets as well as those of the government for the alleged police attack on journalists when they were covering the violence by university students at the UGC premises last week, the cabinet spokesman, Keheliya Rambukwella yesterday said these unfortunate incidents wouldcontinue as long as students behave unlawfully.
Minister Rambukwella told journalists at yesterday’s weekly cabinet briefing that President Mahinda Rajapaksa will take appropriate action after he received a comprehensive report on the incident from Police chief Mahinda Balasuriya.
“President Rajapaksa is not happy about the attack on journalists. But he is more concerned about the rapidly deteriorating discipline among the university students,” Minister Rambukwella said.
Commenting on the attack on Ruhuna University Vice Chancellor Susirith Mendis by a group of undergrads, Minister Rambukwella said not only the teachers or but even any parent would not like to have children with such violent character.
He said it was sad that the university students who behave violently are the victims of political parties who have been convincingly beaten at elections held in the recent past. They use for university students for their political expediency and rejuvenate their rejected ideologies, he said.
Minister Rambukwella cautioned that no government would be in a position to prevent clashes between the police and students as long as university students behave unlawfully. The journalists are innocent victims of ‘cross attacks’ between the two parties and the police will take steps to prevent any harm on journalists when they attend to their lawful duty in future.