For press freedom by Sunanda Deshapriya
March 04, 2011: The Court of Appeal decided yesterday to consider the habeas corpus petition filed on behalf of missing LankaeNews jounalist Prageeth Eknaligoda, by his wife and children, on the May 26. This was when the petition was taken up yesterday, before justices A. Ranjith Silva and D. Lekamwasam.
Senior State Counsel Sameendra Wickrama told court yesterday that objections had already been filed on behalf of the respondents. Thereby, the court instructed the petitioners to file counter-objections.
Counsel appearing for the petitioners, Krishmal Warnakulasuriya said that those counter objections were filed yesterday.
The petitioners have said in their petition that those who could not tolerate the articles published by LankaeNews must take responsibility for Prageeth Eknaligoda’s disappearance.